Student LifeCampus Resources

Disability Services & Accommodations

Maine College of Art & Design provides support for qualified students with disabilities. The Accessibilities Coordinator collaborates with students to determine accommodations for students with documented disabilities. We are committed to providing equal access for students with disabilities under the provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and its amendments, and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. Students can expect to work collaboratively with the disability services coordinator to develop an individualized plan for specific accommodations.

The process begins with an initial meeting to discuss barriers and accommodation needs, and then introduce helpful resources and various supports on campus.

Get started

Academic Accommodations

Follow the step by step instructions below to apply for academic accommodations:
  1. Student fills out Initial Appointment Form
  2. Student provides relevant documentation
  3. Student meets with Accessibilities Coordinator to determine accomodations
  4. Coordinator provides Faculty Accommodations Letter to Student, if applicable
  5. Student shares their letter with their faculty
Initial Appointment

Once your documentation is received, we will contact you to schedule an initial appointment. The initial appointment takes about 45 minutes and will include a review of documentation, past use of accommodations, review of your schedule and any current academic issues. Together, we will determine appropriate accommodations within the legal framework of accommodations. You are welcome to bring a supportive person to your initial appointment if you wish. At the conclusion of your appointment, if applicable, you will be provided with information on how to notify faculty of your accommodations using an electronic Faculty Accommodations Letter.

Housing Accommodations

Students requesting housing accommodations (e.g., first floor, single room, visual alarms in residential rooms, close proximity to the restroom, etc.) are required to apply for accommodations through the Accessibilities Coordinator. To be eligible for accommodations, your disability must significantly restrict your access to and your participation in the residential community. Submission of a request does not guarantee approval of accommodations.

Because of various sites on campus that provide reduced distraction study space, housing accommodations are generally not provided for academic related needs. The Accessibilities Coordinator strongly encourages students whose attendance at the college depends on the availability of on campus housing to apply far in advance of the published deadlines.

Follow the step by step instructions below to apply for housing accommodations.
  1. New residential students should complete and submit a housing contract as soon as possible after matriculation. Returning students must complete a housing contract and renew or request a new housing accommodation request during the room selection process and follow the published deadline.
  2. Complete and submit the Disability-based Housing Accommodations Request — Student Form. Requests made after housing placements have been completed will be honored on a space available basis.
  3. Submit written documentation of your disability from a licensed professional. The Disability Coordinator recommends that students use our housing provider form. If you have other documentation for review, please submit to the Accessibilities Coordinator at
  4. Your request will be reviewed by the Accessibilities Coordinator when we have both your housing accommodation request and documentation. You may be asked to meet with the Disability Coordinator via phone or virtually to fully understand your request. See our Housing Accommodation Policy for more detail on how requests are reviewed.
  5. Returners will be notified in writing before room selection begins, which is usually March. New residential students will be reviewed starting on June 1.
  6. The Accessibilities Coordinator notifies Student Life about any approved housing accommodations and Student Life assigns the room.

Emotional Support Animal Accommodations

An Emotional Support Animal (ESA) is defined by the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and covers a category of animals that may work, provide assistance, or perform physical tasks for an individual with a disability and/or provide necessary emotional support to an individual with a mental or psychiatric disability that alleviates one or more identified symptoms of an individual’s disability, but which are not considered Service animals under the Americans with Disabilities Act and the College's Service Animal Policy.

An ESA is typically prescribed or recommended to an individual with a disability by a mental health professional as an integral part of a person's treatment process to assist in alleviating the symptoms of that individual's disability. This treatment occurs within the person's residence and, therefore, may be considered for access to housing. The question in determining if an ESA will be allowed in housing is whether or not the ESA is necessary because of an individual’s disability to afford the individual an equal opportunity to use and enjoy the College's housing. Below is the step-by-step process of requesting an ESA. All students interested in bringing an ESA to campus are encouraged to review the policies regarding Responsibility of an Individual with an Emotional Support Animal in Maine College of Art & Design Housing before requesting.

ESA Accommodations
  1. Student reviews Emotional Support Animal Policies and Procedures
  2. Student submits Disability-based Housing Accommodations Request Form
  3. Student submits ESA Provider Form
  4. Accessibilities Coordinator reviews your request once both your ESA accommodation request and documentation. Coordinator may request to meet with you via phone or virtually to fully understand your request.
  5. Student will be notified of the Accessibilities Coordinator's decision in writing.
If ESA request is approved:
  1. Student provides Accessibilities Coordinator with veterinarian records of current immunization and spay/neutering.
  2. Student reviews and signs the statement Responsibility of an Individual with an Emotional Support Animal in Maine College of Art& Design Housing
  3. Accessibilities Coordinator provides student with ESA Approval letter and notifies Student Life Staff
  4. Student meets with residential life staff if needed.


Sara Clark, Accessibilities Coordinator at

Additional Resources: